Gillette Fusion Proglide Power Razor, 1-count Package

|

fat loss factor review


Gillette Fusion Proglide Power Razor, 1-count Package Review.

 "Five Stars From a Life Long Shick User" 2010-06-10
By Boilermate (Upstate NY)

To properly evaluate the new Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power razor, I decided to compare it to the new Schick Hydro 5 and my normal razor, a Schick Quattro Power. All started with a new cartridge and a fresh battery as applicable.

I'll begin by saying that I've been using Schick razors for about 40 years and have not been too impressed by most Gillette razors. In particular, they tended to clog up more and were harder to keep clean. I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the ProGlide as well.

ProGlide vs. Hydro 5

Initial impressions: Packaging: Both come in the standard plastic clamshell, but the Gillette is easier to open. The back is perforated for easy opening, where the Schick is more child-proof and requires a sharp object to open it.

What's included: The Gillette comes with only one cartridge, where the Hydro comes with two.

Holders: the Gillette snaps snugly in to the included plastic holder, while the Schick holder just has a small pin to locate the razor. You could use the Gillette's as a travel holder with no problem.

Guarantee: The Schick comes with a money back guarantee. The Gillette assumes you will like it.

The razors: While the Gillette looks more substantial, both weigh 1.4 oz fully loaded. The Gillette has a single blade trimmer on the back of the cartridge. Flip the razor 180 deg to use it. The Hydro's trimmer is under the lube strip that you flip back to use the trimmer.

Cartridge mounting: The ProGlide cartridge slides on easily and snaps in place. The locator pin also acts as "suspension" for the cartridge pivot. The Hydro is a bit more imprecise. You have to line up two small spring loaded fingers on the handle with tabs on the cartridge. Not hard, but not as elegant as the Gillette. The Schick cartridge is smaller than the Gillette...less waste.

On initial "hefting" the Gillette felt better, but in use both were comfortable and easy to maneuver.

The Shave Test

All of the above are secondary to the "Yes, But How Does It Shave" test. I shaved half of my face with the Gillette and half with the Schick, using Proraso Shaving Cream and a badger bristle brush.

Shave No. 1: (3 Day Growth)

The ProGlide felt smooth in all directions, with and against the grain. No pulling on the neck or under the chin. The trimmer was easy to use.

The Hydro was smooth on the cheeks, but pulled noticeably on the neck, especially against the grain. It left a couple of small "razor burn" marks on my neck. To use the trimmer you have to hold the razor with one hand and flip back the cover with the other.

Both razors rinsed clean easily with no clogging.

The Wife Test: Immediately after shaving, Mrs. Boilermate judged the Gillette side marginally smoother, but said that side felt sticky. After my face "dried" she still said the Gillette side was smoother.

Shave No. 2: (2 Day Growth)

The Gillette was smooth while the Hydro pulled noticeably on the neck and under the chin. The Gillette side was again judged smoother in the Wife Test.

ProGlide vs Quattro

Shave Nos. 3 and 4 were done with a two and three day growth respectively using the ProGlide and a Schick Power Quattro (with a new cartridge and a fresh battery).

The first thing I noticed is the ProGlide is noticeably quieter, where the Quattro sounds like an electric razor by comparison.

In both tests, the ProGlide performed as before, with no pulling or burning. The Quattro pulled slightly on the neck, but substantially less than the Hydro did.

As before, the Gillette side was judged smoother by Mrs. B., tho by a similarly small margin.

So what's not to like? The price of the cartridges. Schick cartridges are cheaper across the board than Gillette. Power ProGlide carts are about $4.00 apiece, where Quattro Power carts are about $2.50 each.

While the ProGlide gives an excellent shave, doesn't shave enough better to justify switching from the Quattro based on the cost of the cartridges.

Overall, though, the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power rates five stars. As a life-long Schick user, I was pleasantly (and unexpectantly) surprised by this razor. If you can get past the price of the cartridges, I highly recommend this razor.

 "Major Improvement over Fusion" 2010-06-11
By NYATTORNEY (New York, NY)

Normally I wouldn't take the time to write a review of a razor, but in this case I couldn't help myself. I was hesitant to buy the proglide since I knew it was just an "improved" version of the fusion. I figured this was just an attempt to sell us something all us fusion owners already had and my suspicion was furthered by other reviews posted here, which said the proglide was not much of an improvement over the fusion. But I decided to try it as I love new toys and though I really like the fusion I don't think it is perfect as occasionally it does give me razor burn. So it was much to my surprise when I tried the proglide only to discover that it was much, much smoother then fusion. I don't want to overstate things, but this is the smoothest, easiest shave I have ever experienced. Like I said, I liked the fusion, but didn't think it was perfect. But the proglide is so good I'm not sure what the next step in shaving evolution will be as I feel this is as good as it gets. Definitely worth the $11 or so to switch from the fusion

 "My wife calls me "Baby Face"!" 2010-06-16
By Nick Danger (Huntersville, NC USA)

I tried this razor on a lark. I had been using the Gillette disposables for years. I usually bought them at BJ's or Costco. One day I was in Walmart and decided to try their brand (they were cheaper). Well, after only using the Gillette disposables for all those years, the Walmart blades were pretty bad(cuts, rough, etc.). Right then I decided to upgrade to a new razor. After all, it was about time. As luck would have it, I caught a commercial announcing the new ProGlide was coming on June 6th. I decided to wait the couple of weeks so I would have the "latest and greatest". Boy, am I glad I did!

I wound up picking up the preview kit over Memorial Day weekend. To say it is a smooth shave is an understatement. It really does glide over your face. I loved it so much, I picked up kits for my sons.

I was concerned with the cost of the blades, but I've now shaved 8 times on a single blade and my shave this morning was as close and smooth as day one. My wife now calls me "Baby Face" because of how smooth my face feels after shaving. I highly recommend it!

 "Big Step up from Mach 3" 2010-06-17
By Big Daddy (TN)

I've been shaving with a Gillette Mach 3 for many years. This is the first new razor I have tried since then. I compared it to the Mach 3 and this is what I've determined:

PROS:

1. Very close, smooth shave. It is noticably closer than the Mach 3.

2. Less pulling than the Mach 3.

3. Razor handle has a nicer and more expensive "feel" to it. It has a little heft, so to speak.

CONCERNS / ISSUES:

1. The razors are materially more expensive than the Mach 3. It's a close call as to whether it is worth paying the extra money. If your neck is sensitive and easy to burn with other razors, I'd go with this one.

2. The razors are thinner. I was concerned that they might not last as long, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

3. Amazon has great info and instructions. The razor itself does not. It really would have been helpful to have instructions and a discussion of the features on the razor box. For example, I really wasn't sure of the purpose of the vibrating head. I might have appreciated some of the features more if I had understood what they were for and that is not always obvious from the packaging.

 "Outstanding" 2010-06-21
By Aman George (Falls Church, VA)

Hands down the best razor I've ever used. I never felt like the Fusion was a huge step up from the old Mach 3 Power. This razor, however, is truly a giant step forward - I feel like Gillette is in the unfortunate position of having to market this as a slight improvement on a stock Fusion rather than a new line altogether, despite the fact that it is really leaps and bounds ahead of the older model.

The razor glides over my face with no catching, no scraping feeling, and no irritation, all while delivering an incredibly close shave. I truly don't see how Gillette will be able to improve on this.

(I promise I'm not a paid employee of Gillette, I just think this product is really outstanding).


fat loss factor review